Monday, May 16, 2011

Books by different covers

We all do it ... judge a book by its cover, that is.

Which is why it's particularly interesting to see some of the book covers that didn't quite make the cut.

Here's a link to the New York Times Sunday Book Review's May 13 photo list of bookjacket designs that didn't make it.

The ones I've read on the NYT list are "The Imperfectionists" by Tom Rachman (my blog post and a photo of the cover of the book that I purchased here) and Lorrie Moore's "A Gate at the Stairs." (blog and book cover here).

It's funny how you attach your feelings about a book to its cover. While I like both of the scrapped versions of the covers of Rachman's and Moore's novels, shown in the NYT link, they don't feel representative of what I read.

And, while we're on the topic, here's a previous post (Dec. 2010) of mine on winning bookcovers.

No comments: