Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fashionable, literary AND philanthropic

Yesterday I shared a site that makes posters out of the text of classic books.

Today, in a related post, as my sister just shared with me, Out of Print is a company that puts vintage and often out-of-print book-cover designs on T-shirts and iPhone covers.

Pictured at right is Out of Print's wearable art of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "Tales of the Jazz Age" (courtesy of their website).

Out of Print says its shirts are treated so they feel soft and worn-in "like a well-read book," according to the website.

They look pretty funky and cool to me, but I'm a book geek.

Check out their blog here.

For every T-shirt sold via Out of Print, the company donates a book to a community in need through partner company Books for Africa. That nonprofit's goal is to "end book famine in Africa" and distribute books to children there.

According to its website, since 1988, Books For Africa has shipped more than 24 million high-quality text and library books to children and adults in 45 African countries.

Fashionable, literary AND philanthropic. Sounds good to me.

No comments: